The present St. Michael’s N.S. Cootehill was opened in 1983 as two separate schools-St. Michaels’ Junior school and St. Michael’s Senior school. Both schools amalgamated in 2007.
The school is built on the original site of the Sisters of Mercy convent and girls’ school. The Sisters came to Cootehill in 1879 to a house in Bridge street before moving to Station road. Unfortunately the convent closed in 2013, and apart from Sr. Eileen who lives in the community there are no other Mercy Sisters living in Cootehill now.
The school is a mixed vertical school catering for 260 pupils aged 4 to 12 years. The principal is Mrs. Majella McCarthy, the Deputy Principal is Ms. Norma Sherlock, and the Assistant Principal is Mrs. Anne O’Neill. There is a staff of 18 teachers, four S.N.A, a full time secretary, a caretaker and two cleaners. St. Michael’s is a Catholic school under the patronage of the Bishop of Kilmore. It is a DEIS Band 1 school.