St. Michael’s N.S. offers a wide variety of school activities including some of the following:
- Drama – A Christmas and Summer concert is produced each year.
- Sport – The school partakes in many competitions including the Cumann na mBunscoil mixed Hurling and Football competitions, a swimming gala, FAI Primary 5s, FAI futsal and a school lunchtime soccer and basketball league of five-a-side mixed teams is organised in the Summer term.
- Swimming – All classes from Senior Infants to sixth have annual swimming lessons.
- Quizzes – Teams are entered for many of the Quizzes held locally.
- Science – We have been presented with The Discovery Science Award for the past seven years for the high level of science learning occurring in the school. Fourth class have taken part in The Engineers of Ireland K-Nex challenge while a Fifth class has taken a project to Dublin to the Young Scientist Exhibition.
- We are a Green school and secured our first flag in 2008-2009. We are currently working on our fifth Green Flag – Biodiversity.
- Write-a-Book / Write-a-Poem competition is organised annually by Monaghan Education Centre.
- Religious activities– there is a Harvest Mass celebrated in the school every September. We have regular whole school prayer services – a service of Remembrance in November, an Advent service, a service for Ash Wednesday, a service for Catholic Schools’ Week in January, and one for Easter. There is a parish programme ‘Do This In memory’ for all families preparing for First Holy Communion, and there are celebratory parties for Second following their First Communion. Sixth class graduate every June with a Prayer Service held in St. Damian’s Oratory, near Tanagh.
- Tin whistle is taught in various classes throughout the year. Guitar classes are held on Tuesdays at lunchtime.
- Our School Choir sings at First Holy Communion, at Christmas outside Supervalu to raise money for S.V.P. and occasionally at the Christmas Concert or for the Senior Citizens at their Christmas party.
- There is an after school homework club between 3.00 – 3.45 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
In St. Michael’s we aim to teach an holistic education – the social, spiritual, sporting as well as the academic side of every child. Our vision is that every child will learn to the best of their abilities in a happy and safe environment.